RED n BARKY Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
PS3 disc cracked! any solutions?

Reply to topic    RED n BARKY Forum Index » Technical Issues View previous topic
View next topic
PS3 disc cracked! any solutions?
Enda
Force Sensitive
Force Sensitive

Post PS3 disc cracked! any solutions? Reply with quote
So I just popped in Pro Evo for a quick game there this evening to find that the PS3 wouldn't read the disc. Fearing that my Ps3 may have packed in after less than a year I stuck in the CoD disc to check out if that worked. It did.

It was only then that I realised that there was a tiny (and i mean TINY) hairline crack about 5-10mm long, going through the clear plastic inner ring on the disc. It had obviously just cracked when I stuck it into the case after the last time I played it.

So heres my question...
I googled this and couldn't find anything relevant...only stuff for "cracking" the ps3's firmware etc. Is there any solution to get the disc to work again? I tried sticking a tiny piece of tape over the crack but it still wouldn't read (I'll admit it was a long shot Crying or Very sad )

OR, am I stuck with the cost of forking out for the game again? If so I'll prob just get the cheapest pre-owned I can get.

Just wondering because this shits really annoyed me now. 70 quid pissed away, I wont even be able to trade it in or anything ffs!

Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:45 pm View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Kain
Jedi Initiate
Jedi Initiate

Post Reply with quote
I know it sounds retarded, and maybe I'm falling for the joke, but I've heard people on CG say they've used toothpaste on cracks and it's fixed them...

I'd atleast just give it a good wash under water (might be a coincidence) but if not, then you may as well try the toothpaste since it's not working either way...
Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:55 pm View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Enda
Force Sensitive
Force Sensitive

Post Reply with quote
reminds me actually, I had a Pro Evo 2 disc absolutly RIDDLED with scratches a few years back. Absolutly lashed the toothpaste on and scrubbed it to death...and it worked!

I'll keep it as a last option for the moment though Laughing

Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:57 pm View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Kain
Jedi Initiate
Jedi Initiate

Post Reply with quote
Lol, cool, well atleast now I know it works...

Should work for you in this situation... though usually when I get a crack/scratch in my discs, a good washing with water and toilet paper seems to work alot of the time (I mean, the scratches are still there... but it just seems to work... Confused)
Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:16 pm View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Enda
Force Sensitive
Force Sensitive

Post Reply with quote
well unfortunatly the toothpaste didn't work Crying or Very sad

Looks like I'm going to have to just toss it in the bin and start over.

Anyone know the cheapest possible place to get a copy of PES08 is? Second-hand even is fine, just want a game that works but don't want to spend much money. Don't say ebay, never using that site from what I've heard about dodgy dealings etc.

You can't even imagine how frustrating this is from my p.o.v. PES is like my favourite game, ANY other game even CoD4 and I wouldn't give a shit. Fuck the disc manufacturers anyway and their shabby fucking discs! Never had this problem EVER before where the actual Amaray case breaks the disc and cracks it!

Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:06 pm View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Jackl86
Jedi Initiate
Jedi Initiate

Post Reply with quote
if it is reallly hairline crack thant u cant really see how about buyin a new one swappin the disk over takin it back an say ur mum bought the wrong one an u wanna exchange it for vegas 2?

Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:45 pm View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
Enda
Force Sensitive
Force Sensitive

Post Reply with quote
I'd say they'd notice it now alright after the job I did on it with the toothpaste. I'd say they would have just about noticed it before though. If you stick it under a lamp you can see where the crack is.

I know in my local game store they check the discs REALLY well whenever you trade in or exchange. Like they take it out of the box, flip it over and examine it for a good 20-30 seconds to make sure. Then they ask for your details (address, phone no., etc.). Of course I could just stick down fake details but I'm unlikely to get past the reveiw stage.

I checked anyway and have the receipt from when I originally bought the game. Going to head in with it tomorrow and just tell them the truth, see what they say. I mean i've nothing to lose in fairness, worst thing they can say is no.

I was also thinking of buying a brand new copy of PES off some place, then swap my faulty disc into the new shiny case and return it and say it came like that. Hopefully a refund or else an exchange for Vegas 2. We'll see.

Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:41 pm View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
EARTHMOVER
Force Sensitive
Force Sensitive

Post Reply with quote
once it's cracked it's arsed

Idea
I'd say bring it back to the shop u bought it from. Tell them this shouldn't have cracked when takin it in and out of the box or they sold u a dodgey disc, exchange it for a new one. Don't take any shit UT

Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:16 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
EDDIE ICE
Jedi Guardian
Jedi Guardian

Post Reply with quote
EARTHMOVER wrote:

Idea
I'd say bring it back to the shop u bought it from. Tell them this shouldn't have cracked when takin it in and out of the box or they sold u a dodgey disc, exchange it for a new one. Don't take any shit UT

The man has a point,go in the shop and smash the place up Laughing .

RIP Endas disk Laughing Crying or Very sad

Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:00 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Jackl86
Jedi Initiate
Jedi Initiate

Post Reply with quote
EDDIE ICE wrote:
EARTHMOVER wrote:

Idea

The man has a point,go in the shop and smash the place up Laughing .

RIP Endas disk Laughing Crying or Very sad

and the shop thats gonna get the hidin lol

Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:42 pm View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
Enda
Force Sensitive
Force Sensitive

Post Reply with quote
Bought a copy of Pro Evo today in HMV as I remember them being very fair a few years back when my brother brought back a cracked Foo fighters CD and they gave him gift vouchers or some crap.

So took out the new disc, put it into my old case. Then took the cracked disc and stuck it into the new case which has all the HMV pricing stickers and codes all over it.

Just gonna head in and say it happened yesterday lol. i'm generally bad at the whole returning stuff thing though so I hope they dont make some huge fucking scene, whipping out the microscopes and examning the crack in Nobel Prize winning detail ffs! Crying or Very sad

Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:03 pm View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Jackl86
Jedi Initiate
Jedi Initiate

Post Reply with quote
from my experiance you have to say thaqt it was like that when u opend the box if u say u used it etc they sometimes get funny

Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:51 pm View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    RED n BARKY Forum Index » Technical Issues All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: